PSPRS Refund Instructions

I’ve been asked to calculate a lot of people’s refunds that will be coming from PSPRS at some point in the future, so I came up with a few solutions for all ranges of Excel experienced or inexperienced people.

Option 1 – For the Excel Experienced

Log in to

Download your Contribution History.  Follow steps 1 through 3 in Option 3 below if you are unsure how to do this.

Once you have downloaded your Contribution History into Excel you need to divide your contributions in fiscal year 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 by the percent you contributed each year.  This will give you the amount of your original paycheck that was used to determine your contribution for each paycheck.  These percentages are as follows:

2012 – 8.65% – Enter 0.0865 in Excel

2013 – 9.55% – Enter 0.0955 in Excel

2014 – 10.35% – Enter 0.1035 in Excel

2015 – 11.05% – Enter 0.1105 in Excel

2016 – 11.65% – Enter 0.1165 in Excel

2017 – 11.65% – Enter 0.1165 in Excel

Then multiply the result by 7.65% (Enter 0.0765 in Excel).

The result is what you would have contributed.  Subtract what you originally contributed by what you would have contributed to get the amount of overpayment.  Total the result for each line for all years and you get your total refund.

Option 2 – For the Excel Inexperienced, who just want to be told what your refund is

Log in to

Download your Contribution History.  Follow steps 1 through 3 in Option 3 below.

Send the Excel spreadsheet to and I’ll give you your refund amount within 24 hours.

I understand if you are not comfortable sending me this information.  If that is the case then follow the instructions in Option 3 to calculate it yourself.

Option 3 – For the Excel Inexperienced

I have created an Excel template that you can copy and paste your contibutions into.  This template is based on the City of Tempe’s pay cycle and may not work for other agencies.  If you need me to adjust the template for other agencies send me an email.

Log In to

Step 1

Once you are logged in click on “Active” at the top

Step 2

Click on “Contribution History” on the left menu bar

Step 3

Click on “Select a format” in the center drop down menu and click on “Excel” then click the “Export” button next to it

Step 4

Open the Excel spreadsheet and scroll down to the row that has date 07/03/11 in column A or the year 2012 in column J.  The refund has to do with our contributions for fiscal year 2012 to the current year.  The last column titled “Year” indicates the range we are interested in.

Your numbers in column D and E will be different from above.

Step 5

Scroll through the lines that show 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 in column J and check that column F says “Taxable Contribution”.  If it does not, then right click on the line number and delete that row.  As you scroll through, all of the dollar amounts in column D should show similar amounts.  Some people find that in July of 2012 there is a small amount for approximately $15.  If you see this delete the row.  This small amount needs to be deleted for the template I have included to work.  It will make your refund amount off by a few dollars.

This is how to delete a row

Step 6

Use your mouse to highlight the amounts in column D from 2012 through the end.  It should look kind of like this

Click “Control” and the letter “C”

Step 7

Open the template by clicking here and click on cell D1

Click “Control” and the letter “V”

Now scroll down to the bottom to see your total refund..

If you have questionsn please let me know.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *